The gallery, which is located at ground level and accessible without barriers, presents mainly contemporary art on 160 square metres and is divided into three interconnected rooms.
Galerie Theodor von Hörmann
The premises are located in the old town hall on the town square, the former centre of the historic market town of Imst.
The gallery was founded by Adolf Walch (* 1910, † 1989, term of office 1968 - 1986), an art-loving mayor of Imst. On 17 October 1974, the old 'Hörmann Gallery', in the former baroque garden pavilion and later slaughterhouse of the Agricultural College, hosted the opening exhibition with works by Prof. Elmar Kopp (†), August Stimpfl (†), Andreas Weissenbach, Herbert Wachter (†), Manfred Wagner (†), Dora Czell and Prof. Erwin Reheis. Until 1991, 'the old Hörmann' served as a meeting place and venue for the Oberland art scene. In 1993, the gallery moved to the old town hall on the Stadtplatz at the energetic instigation of Maria Gamper (* 1920, † 2010, municipal councillor 1986 - 1997), who was then the municipal councillor for culture.
The name of the Municipal Gallery goes back to the great painter Theodor von Hörmann (1840 - 1895), who is considered the most important Austrian impressionist. Hörmann was born in Imst on 13 December 1840, and the name is intended to pay tribute to the town's great son.
Current information on exhibitions can be found on the gallery's website!